Reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, the Director of Student Affairs has a general responsibility for the welfare of 1,000-plus graduate and professional students with the following responsibilities: Counsels students on a variety of personal and academic issues. Develops programs and activities to enhance the quality of student experience in a multicultural academic environment. Assesses the needs of the student body, organizes educational, social, and cultural activities, facilitates student development, encourages diversity, and supports the academic goals of the school. Advises student government and student organizations, organizes special events, and interprets policies and procedures for student groups and activities. Responsible for orientation and graduation activities, services for students with disabilities, and financial management of student organizations. Supervises an Associate/Assistant Director of Student Support Services, Senior Coordinator for Student Life, and two Student Affairs Coordinators. Works on projects assigned by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversees Student Affairs team and operations.; provides leadership and guidance to Student Affairs staff.
• Counsel and support students on a variety of personal, medical and academic issues. Provides backup support to the Associate Dean for Student Services in handling student emergencies as they arise.
• Identifies strategic needs and opportunities for new student programming and improving student service. Design and manage educational, social and culture activities for the campus, particularly those in support of wellness, student development and the academic goals of the school.
• Oversees New Student Orientation and works with Admissions and Student Services staff (as well as coordinating efforts with other GSD entities) to implement a comprehensive strategy to address the areas of student development, Title IX programming, diversity and inclusion during orientation.
• Provides guidance to the Student Forum; Oversees student groups and other student-organized activity at the GSD; confers with the Associate Dean of Students on issues related to student wellness and success and establishing policy regarding student group events and the allocation of funding.
• Oversees Commencement activities as well as Class Day
• Oversees informational content on website related to student affairs.
• Manages the Student Affairs budget.
Supervises an Assistant Director of Student Support and Student Affairs, Senior Coordinator of Student Life and Activities, and two Student Affairs Coordinators.
Master’s degree (preferably in student development, higher education administration, counseling or related field), 5+ years of progressively responsible experience working in higher education. Extensive experience working with a student population required.
Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and other administrative offices at Harvard. Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and ability to embrace change required. Ability to take initiative, make decisions, follow through and handle complex and sensitive situations. Absolute discretion in handling confidential information. Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing deadlines.
This position requires occasional evening and weekend work along and ability to work remotely is necessary.
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
[Full-Time (Salaried)] Salary Range: 110000-120000
Job is conducted primarily in an office setting.
Level of English Required: Advanced/Fluent
How to Apply: