More than 250 SCC members, board, staff and friends came together on March 8 at the SCC 2017 Annual Meeting and Dinner to celebrate the organization’s 47th year of working for a diverse, sustainable Somerville.
The event, based on the theme, Breaking Barriers, Building Together, included music from Somerville’s band, Tuna Rangers, dinner, a brief program and a chance for SCC’s fantastic members and supporters to mingle.
Our emcees were Michelle Green and Gilmore Tamney. Two SCC members, Martine Dreux and Silvana Dinka shared how financial literacy, homebuying and organizing with SCC have been important parts of their lives.
Our Somerville legislative delegation graciously accepted the Norris Weston Award for their diligent work at the State Capitol to pass the Home Rule petition to establish Somerville’s Jobs Linkage Fee and Jobs Trust Fund. Regina Bertholdo, a tireless leader and champion of immigrant rights in Somerville, accepted the Hazel Hughes Award.
|Silvana Dinka with her son|
During the program eight new SCC members were appointed to SCC’s Board of Directors, including:
- Michelle Apigian, SCC Real Estate Development Advisory Group
- Jacinta Arena, SCC Affordable Housing Organizing Committee, Somerville Sustainable Neighborhoods Working Group
- Silvana Dinka, SCC Jobs for Somerville participant, Financial Literacy and First-Time Homebuyers program
- Laurie Goldman, SCC’s Jobs for Somerville; advisor, SCC First Source program
- Beatriz Gómez, real estate development professional
- Danielle Kinkel, affordable housing and community development attorney
- Dana LeWinter, former Somerville Housing Director; cochair, Somerville Sustainable Neighborhoods Working Group
- Natacha Theodore, participant, SCC First Source Jobs program and Clarendon Redevelopment project
We closed our program with the presentation of Union United’s Community Benefits Agreement video, and SCC’s newly released Succeed Together series, as well as a call to action for the community to encourage the City to invest in workforce development.
Thank you to our event sponsors:
Representative Christine Barber
John & JoAnn Murray