Homebuyer & Financial Education Specialist
Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) seeks a Homebuyer & Financial Education Specialist to join our Economic Opportunity Team. SCC is a 50-year-old nonprofit Community Development Corporation (CDC) and the only CDC in Somerville. SCC strengthens the city of Somerville by producing and preserving affordable housing, and by organizing Somerville residents to give voice to community needs and priorities.
For the past 20 years, SCC has played a leadership role in the community to manage organizing campaigns that have resulted in key victories, such as passage of the Community Preservation Act; increase of Inclusionary Zoning, increase of Housing Linkage Fee, establishment of Jobs Linkage Fee and passage of the Union Square Community Benefits Agreement.
The Organization and Its Programs
To buttress our work on affordable housing development, ownership and policy issues, our economic opportunity programming helps people find jobs, save money, decrease debt, build their assets, and even realize the dream of home ownership. The speculative market will continue to drive up housing costs in Somerville and our work helps ensure that those with fewer assets can still live here. Helping residents sustain themselves in Somerville with sufficient incomes and increasing assets is a crucial strategy in our fight for equity.
Our Financial Literacy classes help people better understand debt, banking, credit, and how to save. Our popular First Time Home Buyer classes help people better understand the often-intimidating process of saving for and purchasing a home, as well as how to access programs that can make doing so more accessible.
Asset Building at Somerville Community Corporation
Beginning in 2008, SCC shifted emphasis from a historic focus on homelessness prevention to programs designed to help build household income and assets with and for low- and moderate-income households. We moved our former homelessness prevention work to two strong partners organizations and began the programming that now constitutes our Asset Building Department. Today our asset building work consists of financial education and counseling, first time home buyer education, and First Source Jobs, SCC’s workforce development and readiness program.
In 2022, we anticipate offering 11 First Time Home Buyer classes serving about 300 participants, as well as administering an online First Time Home Buyer portal serving an additional 50 participants and four 7-week financial education classes for 80 participants, along with related individual counseling. SCC will also collaborate on a regular basis with Somerville Housing Authority to help support their residents who participate in their Self-Sufficient Program (SSP). In addition, our First Source Jobs program will serve over 200 residents with career counseling and job placement services.
The Homebuyer & Financial Education Specialist
SCC is seeking a new member of our team to manage and deliver the Financial Education, First Time Home Buyer education, and all related counseling services. S/he will work under the supervision of SCC’s Economic Opportunity Management. The Homebuyer & Financial Education Specialist will have the opportunity to work with groups of clients in classroom settings and/or online classes, as well as individually with clients on household financial matters. The Specialist will work as a team with Economic Opportunity Management Programs and the 3 staff members in the First Source program.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Initiate and coordinate outreach for all financial education and home buyer classes.
- Serve as the primary presenter in First-Time Homebuyer Seminars and Financial Literacy Classes.
- Recruit and schedule presenters for all the professional elements of First Time Home Buyer classes.
- Maintain the schedule and organize all logistics and materials for classes.
- Track participant course completion and follow up.
- Conduct one-on-one sessions with clients on household budgets, credit, and financial matters.
- Analyze client’s financial status, cash flow and credit to determine readiness for homeownership or other programs.
- Provide referrals to other programs and services as appropriate.
- Document successes and challenges in reports to funders as well as for SCC impact measurement.
- Complete the quarterly report for HUD submission.
The Specialist will be required to maintain certification with HUD as a Homebuyer Counselor accordance with state and national standards.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial self-starter who is mission driven and works well independently and as part of a team. They should bring many of these skills and qualifications:
- Strategic and goal-oriented individual who comfortably manages multiple tasks and projects independently.
- Skills in team work and team management.
- Strong oral and written English communication skills.
- Basic technology skills including use of Microsoft 365, Salesforce, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Experience teaching groups of low- and moderate-income adults.
- Background or training in one or more aspects of household finances.
- Comfort working with a range of people in a community based nonprofit environment.
- At least two years of work experience.
- Bachelor’s preferred, experience can be substituted for education.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Kreyol a plus.
- HUD Homebuyer Counseling Certificate is a requirement, new employees will be required to obtain certification within three (3) months.
We seek candidates who embrace our mission and bring a sense of humor and passion to their work. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Selection Process
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your salary requirements and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: Gonzalo J. Puigbo, email@example.com
No phone calls or letters please.
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. For more information, see our website at www.somervillecdc.org.
Somerville Community Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.