Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) is a membership organization that provides leadership for sustaining the City of Somerville as a vibrant, diverse and tolerant community. We offer services and lead community organizing that supports low- and moderate-income Somerville residents in their efforts to achieve economic sustainability and increase civic participation.
The City of Somerville is undergoing tremendous transformation. SCC’s overarching goal is to contribute to and influence this transformation in a way that supports and preserve’s Somerville’s socio-economically diverse population. We are eager to work with our constituents, the City of Somerville, and other partners and allies to solve the underlying public policy question: can a city undergo significant land use and economic transformation, with the infusion of billions of dollars of public and private investment, in a way that benefits people of all incomes?
We have adopted a three-pronged approach to ensuring the Somerville remains affordable for low and moderate income people. With our members, we:
- Organize the community to promote policies (such as inclusionary housing, linkage and the preservation of expiring-use housing) that enhance the regulatory and funding environment for affordable housing and good jobs for Somerville residents.
- Develop and preserve as many affordable housing units as we can using green and sustainable design principles and upgrades, thereby taking those units off the speculative real estate market and making them permanently affordable.
- Create access to opportunities for our constituents, through financial education, counseling, asset-building programs, and our First Source Jobs Program.
SCC Values & Guiding Principles:
- Diversity and inclusivity: We are committed to making our community and our own work open and accessible across economic, cultural and linguistic barriers
- Empowerment: We support self-determination; we work to develop leadership in under-represented communities; and we seek to create a place where all voices can be heard
- Participation: We believe in democratic decision-making; and we work to find commonality among stakeholders
- Justice and equity: We pay particular attention to the voices of the marginalized; and we work to offer opportunities to all
- Community: We work to create safe, inclusive places for people to live and work
- Compassion: We are motivated by caring for the well-being of all in our community
- Persistence: We are ambitious in our goals and tenacious in their pursuit